This morning I’ve been pondering sourdough starter as a model for church growth. The process works like this:
- prepare a warm hospitable place for things to grow
- stir in the basic ingredients
- leave it alone for a while
- check on it after a few days and give it a stir
- when it has grown sufficiently, use some of it and replenish the rest
- so long as you keep feeding it, you can give away quite a lot and still have all that you need
Two other observations:
- at first it seems to take forever for things to get going
- give it long enough to mature and it grows quickly without losing depth.
Unfortunately, the whole process is much more predictable with bread than with congregations.
The starter itself is now thriving at the rectory. Bring a jar if you want some.